Diamana Shafts

Are the Diamana shafts overrated? Well I found that out myself when I installed them into my 907 D2 head recently.

My 907D2 came with Titleist factory Aldila VS Proto 65S stock shaft. This particular shaft by far is the most popular 907D2 shaft on offer direct off the shelf for retail consumer. I like the low mid launch on this shaft as its very stable but somehow just lack the jazzy feel that I was looking for. Hence my quest for a better shaft to suit my swing.

After a week search, I narrowed them down to 3 exotic shafts from 3 golf shaft manufacturers; True Temper, Fujikura and Diamana. I obviously chose Diamana and bought 2 shaft, from this Japanese seller on ebay, a white board and a red board, both in stiff flex.

And during my search, I found that there are 2 diamanas in the market, one for USA/International distribution and the other is exclusively for asian or rather Japan market. The difference according to Mitsubishi Rayon (the manufacturer for Diamanas) is only cosmetic; the Japanese model has the Ion Flowerband near the butt of the shaft, just below the grip area. They are a little girly for my liking but that is the only distinguishing mark of the two shafts. Performance wise, they are the same although many installers and players alike disagree and believe the Japan model plays slightly softer. -10 cpm

Titleist 907 is known as a bore through head that didn't pose any problem as I managed to pulled out the Aldila VS Proto with ease and safely inserted the Red diamana series at 1.5 inch. The red was chosen because I was looking for a shaft that will launch the ball higher and the 3.2 torque was good enough to reduce unwanted twisting and increase shaft kick through impact.

On course, the first few hit with the Diamana red were good and very forgiving. However, after the so call shaft breaking-in period; I found that the trajectories seems to a tad higher for my liking (on my 9,5 degree driver). The ball flights are not as penetrating as I wanted it to be but I did managed plenty of huge carry. I can't see it be any good in windy condition as it would be certainly a disadvantage to hit high shot into blustery head wind. However I would recommend this red shaft for golfer with slower or average swing speed and wants plenty of carry.

So it was back to the drawing board. Off came the red and I currently preparing the white board to be the install...



more reviews later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Popular Posts